There seems to be a number of books on engaging people – first Guy Kawasaki’s Enchantment and now Sally Hogshead’s book entitled Fascinate.
Sally says there are seven triggers that are used to fascinate us and trigger a response or desired action from us, like buying something.
The seven triggers are:
1. Mystique – that ‘je ne sais quoi’ or Coke classic’s recipe.
2. Power – we’re fascinated and influenced by people of power and control. Power is the ability to motivate but also create fear.
3. Passion – the seduction of pleasure! I want that now! The dipping of strawberries into chocolate.
4. Alarm – “Only 20 copies left … order now.”
5. Trust – Toyota used to have trust. Trust is the hardest trigger to use properly.
6. Rebellion – Lady Gaga breaking all the rules.
7. Prestige – fine wines and the discernment of knowing them.
She also maintains we can use those triggers in our personal branding. Take the f-test. My primary trigger was rebellion just like my hero Richard Branson and the secondary one was passion.
How are you fascinating?